Sixth Scan & Decisions Made

We are now on a fortnightly scan schedule, so after the 28 week scan we were back for a 30 week one on Tuesday.

We were there early, having left home with plenty of time to make it through the latest roadworks in Northwood. In case anyone is not familiar with the substandard roads network of the island (or in tourism speak – yesteryear), the road between Cowes and Newport can be seen here. It’s the road that goes past Northwood, and has had three separate organisations digging up three different parts of the road in each of the last three weeks. This causes chaos because there is no other practical route between Cowes and Newport. Let’s hope there aren’t some other roadworks on the day of the birth.

As we were early, we had a bit of a wait, and once in to the ultrasound room we were greeted by the sight of a brand, spanking new ultrasound machine. So new that our regular sonographer was being tutored on its use by a company rep throughout our scan. She seemed very impressed with it. It has a great many more buttons, which are all lit, than the previous model. Sadly, it doesn’t make a great deal of difference to the scans, though they are sharper and I think the frame rate better, though you can’t tell that from pictures I post.

All was good with measurements of the baby. His head, abdomen and femur measurements are all on the predicted lines. The measure of the amount of fluid in the womb was high, and was described as ‘not too bad’ by several people, which isn’t all that promising. At the moment it isn’t a problem, but may be an indicator that the fluid will continue to increase and cause problems.

The consulation afterwards with Mr Ridley focussed on two things. The first was the mode of delivery, and it was decided that a caesarean was best for Hannah, to avoid complications with her blood pressure and eyes during labour. The date was chosen, and is the 4th July. The second discussion was about a precautionary move in case the little fella does decide to pop out, or need to be brought out, early. They want to give Hannah a couple of injections of the steroid, betamethasone which will almost immediately help the baby’s lungs develop quickly. This would mean that if he was born early they would not need to ventilate him and greatly reduce the chances of any complications. This will happen in a couple of weeks and requires Hannah to be admitted to hospital for a couple of days because the steroid can mess with her blood sugars, and so she needs to be monitored by the nurses from the diabetes unit. There shouldn’t be any problems with it, and it is all just precautionary.

It was rather emotional to have a date on which my child will be born, and when the midwife was taking us through the list of clinicians who would be in the theatre for a c-section, it made the birth much more real and a thrill at the thought of it happening. Also, a degree of fear of anything going wrong at that crucial time, though she did prepare us for the presence of a doctor and nurse from the critical baby care unit who they have in the theatre as standard practice. Having that sort of heavy duty care available without expecting it would have had us worried about what they were expecting.

Overall, a positive visit, with the downside of a couple of days in hospital to come for Hannah.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: