Spain Retrospective

We’ve been back for a week, and it’s about time I blogged our trip. Unfortunately the weather was mostly poor. The poorest weather was actually during the drive from Southampton to Bournemouth (where we flew from), as it was snowing and lying on the A31 through the New Forest. It was a rather treacherous drive, and I had to draw on my Scottish knowledge of driving on snow. We did rather better than the two cars on the opposite carriageway that had spun off the road.

The flights were not so bad, considering they were Ella’s first. On the way out she was better than the way home. She slept for about half of both flights, but was far more restless on the way back. Also on the way back I had a rather messy nappy change in the cubicle that passes for a toilet on the plane, where Ella peed during the change, and there was no way I could successfully manage to tidy her up as baby wipes and nappies and clothes were going everywhere as she wriggled around.

The day we arrived was lovely and hot, and Ella and I went into the somewhat cold outdoor swimming pool almost as soon as we arrived. The next four days were wet or showery. During these we visited the biggest beach in the town, walked along the see from that beach into the town to visit the Balcon de Europa, as well as have some tasty lunches. Later in the week we triped to visit the Cueva de Nerja, but the 400 steps weren’t going to be very buggy-friendly, so we didn’t go in.

Obviously we spent lots of time with the rest of the family. Ella got to play with the others’ toys, and chase other babies and toddlers around, which was great for her to have so much time with children of her own age. She wasn’t too left out as the youngest, as she could motor around crawling. The marble floors of the villa did lead to a few tears due to banged heads, but didn’t slow her down.

The last couple of days were sunnier, and we did return to be beach during those and visit Fragilliana, a pretty hill village behind Nerga.

The evenings brought dodgy games, such as Yahtzee, Pictionary and Mr and Mrs, as devised by Hannah. All the children were fairly good at going down to sleep, so the evenings were free for the adults. I found it a bit weird having Ella in a different room without a monitor, so any crying in the night needed a quick bit of mental processing to work out if it was Ella or one of the other children. We only had one night when she woke up crying, and needed to take her into our room. Discussions the next day concluded that Ella was, in fact, the last to wake up the night, a chain of waking children started by a strong smelling nappy of Lucy’s waking her sister, who cried, waking Henry and finally Ella.

So it was good to have time away, and to stretch Ella’s travelling legs and generally a fun time with other members of the family.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: